Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Diagnosis

Well of course my symptoms would go away the day before I go to see the specialist. I got most of my energy back yesterday and the headache is almost gone, I thought about cancelling but what if it comes back.
I have been so nerves all day just thinking about the appointment, I went through what I was going to say, all the dates everything started and symptoms. I sat ready for the doctor and found myself sweating. I was scared he was going to laugh at me the way my doctor did, well he didn't laugh but I bet he did when he left the room. I again went through everything in my head while waiting and at the same time wanted him to hurry like I would forget what I had rehearsed.
He walked in, he was very tall I mean vary tall. He looked like a basketball player, middle aged, shook his hand and he asked me what brought me here. Everything I had rehearsed, everything I would say seemed to fall out of my head and I tripped over words. Wow, I was not making a good first impression. I took a deep breath and said "okay, I'll just start from the beginning." While I was talking he took notes and nodded, I started to relax but still tripped over words trying to get my point across before I was laughed out of his office.
After I was done he went over my symptoms again, did a basic overview taking my temperature, looking in my ears, eyes, mouth, checking my heartbeat and so on. After he was done he said that based on my symptoms it looks like I could have the Borrelia vires but not Lymes. A sister of Lymes that is more Northwest, WA, ID, MT, OR. Based on the fact that I had a temperature of 101 and the symptoms that I talked about coming and going this was probably it. He actually see's it pretty often from hunters in the fall but have seen cases this summer from eastern WA camping and hiking.
YES! I'm getting somewhere, he said that I don't have chronic fatigue and went on to tell me why but I didn't understand 1/2 he said. So I was given more blood work to complete tomorrow. A peripheral smear to check for spirocketes, what ever that is, to make sure it's not Lymes and this test actually works, there will be no false negative. I also received a RX to get started on that should make me feel better in 7 days!
He didn't laugh, he listened, he treated by symptoms, and he diagnosed. Finally!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hope you are feeling better. Scary stuff.

Libby said...

oh my goodness, i had no idea! sounds like your on the road to recovery..i will be thiking of you!

The Copeland's said...

I am glad that you finally have an answer!!!! Hope you are feeling better!